Wednesday, September 4, 2013

What Was I Thinking?

There are times that I sometimes think that college football rankings and predictions must be the stupidest hobby I could have ever chosen.  I hate to disrespect my fellow hobbiests, but, as a group, we may be exceeded in paranoia only by the MUFON crowd.  Unlike the MUFON crowd, however, which is only paranoid about space aliens and the government, rankings and predictions hobbyists are paranoid about each other, which probably makes us the only hobby in the country where the hobbyists are afraid to communicate with each other.

We each act like we possess some secret formula that will cure cancer, change lead to gold, dissolve warts, make brussel sprouts taste good, end war, and silence Kirk Herbstreit, all with zero preservatives or calories.  Come on, people.  When you describe your ranking formula by saying you "look at this" and "look at that," that's a warning sign.  Plus, I hate to break the news, but most predictions are no better than numerical noise, and those that are better still suffer from a signal-to-noise ratio comfortably below -20dB.

I guess the best way to describe this hobby is with one of those hybrid words -- funny-sad.  Do they make an emoticon for that one?

No comments: